To say that there are just 5 steps to successfully starting a magazine is a great over-simplification. Each one of the steps listed, below, requires immense effort and the resources of time, money and talent.
- Create a valuable product that fills a need or solves a problem.
- Research your target customers: advertisers, subscribers, newsstand buyers, etc. Understand the size and scope of all the competitors in your “space,” including books, television, apps, conferences, etc.
- Develop a staged business plan that manages your risk and builds in “go-no go” decision points.
- Understand how much money is needed to invest in both creating and marketing the new magazine. Most new publishers vastly underestimate the amount of money needed to sell subscriptions and ads.
- Hire experienced help to advise you—it will save money in the long run.
If you’re serious about launching a new magazine, contact me.